It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to over 12 hours to charge an EV. That’s because charging times for EVs vary depending on a number of factors, such as:
- How much charge does it currently have?
- How much are you looking to charge it?
- What speed charger are you using?
- What’s the car’s maximum charging rate?
- How big is the car’s battery?
To give you some idea, most home and public chargers are 7kW, which will fully charge an electric car with a 60kWh battery from 0% to 100% in just under 8 hours.
For 50kW rapid chargers, the general rule of thumb is you can add ~100 miles on a ~35 minute charge.
Also, most EV drivers rarely charge their car from low to full, but instead keep their battery topped up throughout the day with frequent, short charges.